Acting on Daurnimator's suggestion in another thread, I patched the
Makefile to make liblua.so, as follows:

V= 5.3
R= $V.1

$(LUA_SO): $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
        $(CC) -shared -ldl -Wl,-soname,$(LUA_SO).$(V) -o $@.$(R) $?
-lm $(MYLDFLAGS)
        ln -sf $(LUA_SO).$(R) $(LUA_SO).$(V)
        ln -sf $(LUA_SO).$(R) $(LUA_SO)

As often happens when copying code blindly without understanding
it, I ran into problems. The file liblua.so.5.3.1 and symbolic links
liblua.so.5.3 and liblua.so were made. I copied all three (the links as
links) to /usr/local.

I told the application to load liblua.so via opendl etc. It would only
do so when a further symbolic link to /usr/lib/liblua.so.5.3 was made.
This obviously has something to do with that -soname parameter,
but why does it not accept the file that is in /usr/local/lib?