>   It doesn't have to use re, it can be in straight lpeg.

I've always thought of the re module as a demo application: see here,
this is how one should build a large, complex LPeg program.

You seem to prefer re and fall back to straight LPeg as a last resort.

Should I invest some time getting to grips with the idiolectic syntax
expected by re.compile, or is that recommended only for those who
already know and love several other regexes?