Lua patterns are too complex.

^[^()]?([a-z]-$.*)$

^ was repeated twice, with 2 different meanings
$ was repeated twice, again with 2 different meanings
[] was repeated twice, although with the same meaning
( was repeated twice, with 2 different meanings
- was repeated twice, with 2 different meanings

+ - * and ? can be simplified to + - and ? (PCRE has + * +? *? ? which can also be simplified to + - and ?, and technically ? is not needed)

In my opinion, that's a lot of (unnecessary) special-casing. Is there any way Lua could eliminate all of that?

(I've been working on a Lua-pattern-like matcher called "ClEx"[1] which aims to make it simple enough to parse (you can even parse it iteratively!) but powerful enough to be comparable to regex - to the point where you can write any regex with ClEx, but you can't write any ClEx with regex)

[1] https://gist.github.com/SoniEx2/36d2ccf875ea025c8fe5

--
Disclaimer: these emails are public and can be accessed from <TODO: get a non-DHCP IP and put it here>. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT REPLY.