Do you have different programs called "lua" or "sol" in your PATH
that are getting executed instead of the copy in the current
directory?

Or is this definitely a reproducible problem on your platform when the
argv[0] is any 3 character string?

(I don't have "." in my PATH, even at the end, to avoid issues running
the "wrong" version of a program when cd-ed to arbitrary directories.)

I can see the same effect on my linux bos (core 2 6400 cpu).
Not as drastic, it's 0.45 vs. 0.48 secs, but it is reproducible.
Weird...

Gunnar