On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> In any case, I'm still wishing Lua would truncate for %d. I keep ending up
> with seemingly harmless UI code crashing with a "number has no integer
> representation" error, and ugly floor() littered everywhere. It reminds me
> of having to use tostring() with %s in earlier versions (a similar case
> which annoyed me as well). But perhaps I'm alone here...

You are not alone.  After reflection, truncation for %d makes sense to me.

In Lua 5.2, %d would truncate.  In Python also.

Is anyone willing to suggest that the error in Lua 5.3 has value?

Regarding:

>   string.format("%d", 2.7)

In this case, string.format does not have to convert 2.7 to an integer
(although it could).  string.format in this case is converting a float
to a string, and the request for truncation is not hidden, it is
explicit in %d.

-Parke