On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Paul K <paul@zerobrane.com> wrote:
>> Slightly off topic, but since it's been brought up a few times in this thread... Has anyone out there written a "human-readable" patch/wrapper for LPEG? Every time I try to look at a non-trivial example, my brain starts to melt.
>
> There is "re", which gives you access to most (all?) functionality of
> LPEG while following a more familiar syntax. Even though I'm very
> familiar with regexps, I now find LPEG expressions easier to read than
> corresponding "re" scripts, but it's probably a matter of experience.

I enjoy using LPeg's re module extensively.

http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lpeg/re.html

There are some things you cannot do directly in re.  For example, back
captures.  (As opposed to back references, which can be done in re.)

http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lpeg/#cap-b

Indirectly, you can use LPeg to create a back capture, and then use
that pre-created back capture via the %name syntax in re.

-Parke