I had to hunt around to find out what was going on, because I didn't
expect built-in functions to silently disappear, and passing variable
arguments to a function is a pretty key thing to suddenly vanish without
trace or documentation.

Hmmm... disappear without documentation? I think not.

This change has been clearly documented in the Lua 5.2 manual, Section 8.2:

"Function unpack was moved into the table library and therefore must be called as table.unpack."

{ see http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html#8.2 }

Reading the available documentation usually takes a lot less time than writing a rant.

Ashwin.