> I have several Lua source files which I compile to bytecode with a
> single luac call as follows:
>
> $ luac first.lua second.lua third.lua
>
> Now when I execute the output using
>
> $ lua luac.out
>
> is it guaranteed that the order of execution will be the same as on the
> luac command line, i.e. first.lua, then second.lua, then third.lua ?

The order of execution is guaranteed. This is by design.

I wonder why you thought it might be otherwise.

In the past, the command line interpreter lua accepted multiple files
and ran them in the given order. luac did the same for consistency,
and remained like that even when lua moved to running a single file.