On Sunday, July 12, 2015, Peter Aronoff <telemachus@arpinum.org> wrote:
Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> wrote:
> I think that this change was motivated in part by this thread:

Perhaps, but I have to admit I much prefer the answer Roberto gives to that problem
later in the thread: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-06/msg00134.html.

Yes. And the code that I used to create it was not especially... necessary.

The problem solved was indeterminate behavior: depending upon when the GC was tripped, you had either a different closure or the same closure. That sort of possibility/bug is very frustrating and would require some awkward documentation, imho.

Perhaps your view is that one dark corner was traded for another? I don't have a strong opinion, other than that indeterminate behavior in Lua should be limited, as much as is possible (even if only to deal with edge cases like this).