Apologies, let me reword that. In my limited exposure to lua, it seems that most people use it on intel chips. Sparc and solaris seem to round differently from x86 at least, which is what produces the discrepancy between these two test results. Pedantic question: Is there anything else we can conclude from this test working/breaking other than "okay you can't use numbers that are out of range"? I am pretty sure it was not written with sparc/solaris in mind.

-- James

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Correct, but this is more of a meta(?) question. Why include this if lua is
> intended for x86 chipsets if the behavior for signed long long is always
> this way?

What do you mean by "Lua is intended for x86 chipsets"?

-- Roberto