> Why can't we get a way to make independent Lua states from Lua,
> anyway? (or rather with isolated registry and global metatables - this
> means the GC would be shared between them, thus allowing objects
> to be shared between them, but they wouldn't share the same global
> metatables or the same globals table). It would open up great possibilities!

The presently available language features in that direction are:

1. debug.getregistry()[1], which contains the Lua state, and
debug.getregistry()[2], which contains the global table. These
are assignable. By "global metatable", do you mean things like
getmetatable("")?
2. Coroutines.

What additional functions, callable from Lua, would you need
for your envisaged ability? Can you describe them in terms of
currently available API routines, so that one can knock together
a little module in order to experiment with the idea?