FWIW, I tried Facebook's infer [1] with Lua 5.1.3 rc2 and found nothing (besides some false positives)

infer -- make linux

Got the following result:

~~~~
Starting analysis (Infer version v0.1.0)
Analysis finished in 38.227430s

35 files analyzed

src/lfunc.c:49: error: NULL_DEREFERENCE
   pointer uv last assigned on line 48 could be null and is dereferenced at line 49, column 5

src/lgc.c:206: error: NULL_DEREFERENCE
   pointer o last assigned on line 205 could be null and is dereferenced at line 206, column 3

src/lstate.c:108: error: NULL_DEREFERENCE
   pointer ci last assigned on line 105 could be null and is dereferenced at line 108, column 3

src/lstate.c:254: error: NULL_DEREFERENCE
   pointer L1 last assigned on line 253 could be null and is dereferenced at line 254, column 3
~~~~

They are all false positives because Infer does not know that luaM_realloc_ can't return NULL. (A model of that function can be added, but it implies rebuilding Infer, and I'm lazy).

Regards,
Ignacio