Lourival,

Thanks.  This is a project that I thought just needed to be written so I funded it personally :)

To answer your question regarding C-Lua.  Yes.  I considered a C-Lua only implementation, but I didn't think the performance
trade-off vs the additional platforms would be worth it.  That's just me.  For someone else it might be well worth it.

Isn't LuaJIT available for NetBSD? I thought LuaJIT worked on any relatively free x86 unix-like.

If you wanted to port it to a C-Lua only architecture you would have to re-write the interfaces that LuaJIT FFI creates automatically.  Other than that it wouldn't be too hard.  Perhaps we could create a C-Lua only option that selected that interface.

Jim

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Lourival Vieira Neto <lourival.neto@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jim,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Jim Burnes <jvburnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Node9 is a hosted 64-bit operating system based on Bell Lab's Inferno OS
> that
> uses the Lua scripting language instead of Limbo and the LuaJIT
> high-peformance
> virtual machine instead of the Dis virtual machine.  It also uses the libuv
> eventing and I/O library to maintain maximum portability, efficient event
> processing and multicore thread management on POSIX and Windows platforms.
> (...)

Very interesting project! Thanks for sharing! Got me thinking how hard
would it be to implement something similar or to port it to Lua in the
NetBSD kernel.

> Though it was designed to be portable, currently it only builds on OSX.
> It should be simple to tweak for Linux and with a little bit of effort
> Windows.  In theory it should be portable to anything that LuaJIT and
> Libuv have been ported to (POSIX, Windows, Android, x86, ARM, MIPS)

Haven't you considered to use standard Lua to make it more portable?

Regards,
--
Lourival Vieira Neto