Hi all,

Dug up some newish info for those who are into Lua in embedded hardware. Thought I should clarify my "Intel MCU" speculation.

Yes, I guess Lua is possible with the Intel MCU (also called a "Minute IA" 32-bit CPU), there is 192KB unified SRAM [1]. But so far it's only an I/O processor in the SoC on the new Intel Edison board, so no FPU, and the MCU has its own RTOS. Some digital peripherals, no analog peripherals.

[1] https://software.intel.com/en-us/creating-applications-with-mcu-sdk-for-intel-edison-board

Yet another potential Intel-embedded-like-related Lua target is their upcoming IoT play, Curie [2] of which there is little info at present, but it has 384KB Flash and 80KB SRAM. Enough for Lua.

[2] http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wearables/wearable-soc.html

More details and links...
=========================

It appears proper info on Intel MCU only came out early May as the Intel Edison Board got a firmware update [3] to enable the MCU which works as an I/O processor.

[3] http://linuxgizmos.com/edison-iot-module-ships-with-atom-plus-quark-combo-soc/

Intel's PR seems to be playing it fast and loose with naming, they have mostly called it a Quark core for the past year. They are also good at withholding non-NDA info and specs until the time of the official launch party...

Creating applications with the MCU SDK for the Intel Edison board
[4] https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/557537

- MCU details are on the 2nd page (ref [1] above)
- the MCU has an active idle sleep of 38.4MHz (!)
- maximum MCU binary <=120KB currently

An Instructable using the MCU! (~4 days old)
[5] http://www.instructables.com/id/MCU-1-A-budget-conscious-Intel-Edison-MCU-based-Ro/

Wikipedia
=========
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quark
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Edison

- Note that "Intel Quark" can now mean a lot of very different parts or cores

It will be loads of fun...

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)