> because that is what the manual says:

Alas, my faith in the manual as Holy Writ was sorely shaken earlier
this year, when file:read"i" failed, and the Creator said: "The manual
is wrong." The possibility that the manual might one day on some
other topic also say something not quite perfect does not seem so
unattainably remote any more.

> The fact that the current internal implementation of '#' ignores
> non-integer keys is an implementation detail.

It's such a neat implementation, and the property that #t is guaranteed
to be a boundary, though currently undocumented, is so useful, that
it would make my heart very sore to see it superseded.