I'm not familiar with the MediaWiki sandbox, but did you give LuLPeg a try? It is a pure Lua implementation. https://github.com/pygy/lulpeg/ If the sandbox is based on Lua 5.1 and disables `newproxy()`, you'll have to use LuLPeg.L(LuLPeg.P(...)) rather than #LuLPeg.P(...) Otherwise, it is compatible, but slower.
Thank you for this information. Unfortunately, this library depends on load () and loadstring () functions, among others, switched off in Scribunto.

By the way, I found the reason why getmetatable (lpeg.P()) == nil. Scribunto also altered getmetatable () to return nils for all datatypes save table. So, the issue now is how to export this metatable from C++ to  Lua global space so it could be addressed by some name.

Alexander Mashin