I managed to implement throwback without any alteration to the
existing lua binary (this is RiscLua) just by extracting filepath
and line number from error messages by pattern matching. Well it
worked some of the time. In the end I realised that the crashes
were down to the behaviour of luaO_chunkid in lobject.c, which
truncates filepaths that will not fit into its buffer and prepends
RETS (...). This Procrustean treatment means that the error message
cannot be used for extracting the filepath; to be fair, this is not
what error messages were intended for.

Any suggestions how I get round this?
--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)