On 4 April 2015 at 08:44, Enrico Tassi <gares@fettunta.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:10:12PM -0700, William Ahern wrote:
>> Long-term I think it would be better if Lua packagers linked the system
>> interpreter with -lpthread. It's what Perl, Ruby, Python, and Node.js do.
>
> Thanks for the heads up! Debian adds "-lpthread" for Hurd, since it is
> required, but does not add the flag on Linux (nor on FreeBSD).

This issue is a property of the userland though -- Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD's using glibc and friends, not the FreeBSD userland.

In FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT we no longer have the limitation that
libpthread must be loaded at startup. I tried the sample code attached
to the sourceware PR (with two trivial changes to get it to build on
FreeBSD) and it does not encounter any misbehaviour.

I haven't looked at the implementation of any related functionality,
though, and I'm not certain there aren't other, similar problems
lurking in FreeBSD.