> - Internet Explorer 10: the white container in the middle stretches
> vertically to 90% height

There is nothing in lua.css about this. See
	http://www.lua.org/lua.css

There is a margin around the white container, but the vertical margin is fixed.

> - Firefox 37.0.1: the white container does not stretch vertically at all

I see this too. You'll get this in all short pages, such as
	http://www.lua.org/contact.html
	http://www.lua.org/authors.html

It seems that Firefox is using the new box model of CSS, not the one implied by

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

I've tried to avoid Transitional and move to Strict but the layout in
several pages changed and so I've postponed it...

> - Chrome 42: the white container stretches to 90% but the message "Join us
> at the Lua Workshop 2015" wraps around at "Lua" and the next line (Workshop
> 2015) covers half the first line.

This happens in all browsers I've tested if you use a narrow window.

The news item used to be under the logo but it did not look very nice there.

The covering we see is the result of the gray background color being painted
at the wrong time it seems (per line, instead of per box), but all browsers
do this...

Sorry about that.