Hi Thomas

Yay,  cracked it !!! . With your help I managed to get it working now with Excel 2003

Lots more trial and error and persistence, this is what I discovered

You were right , for Excel 2003 you need 1 less level of indirection. I.e

local chart = graphsheet:ChartObjects():Add(xOffset, yOffset, width, height)

But that still didn't work, it wouldn't let me do the setSourceData() on the chart object.

I changed that slightly to be

chart:Activate()

 -- associate the source data with the chart
 excel.ActiveChart:SetSourceData(sourceData)

It was happy to do it that way, must just be differences between 2003 and 2010

It still didn't work though, as it wouldn't set the Title properties. The reason for this is that its very fussy about ordering of lines.

The order must be   xxx.ChartTitle.Text must be after xxx.HasTitle, and both of these must be after the SetSourceData, else it doesn't work.

Full working code below.
Note for future "Googlers", this sample works for Excel 2003 but almost certainly wont work for Excel 2010. (Just use Thomas's earlier snippet for later Excel versions)

Thanks again

Geoff

local luacom = require "luacom"

local function GetExcel()
 local excel = luacom.GetObject("Excel.Application")
 if not excel then
  excel = luacom.CreateObject("Excel.Application")
 end
 if not excel then
  return false, "Can't instantiate Excel"
 end
 local typeinfo = luacom.GetTypeInfo(excel)
 local typelib = typeinfo:GetTypeLib()
 local enums = typelib:ExportEnumerations()
 return excel, enums
end

 local excel, xlenums = assert(GetExcel())

-- add a simple line chart from the data in "datasheet",
-- place the chart in "graphsheet"
local function AddGraph(graphsheet, datasheet)
 local width, height = 640, 320
 local xOffset, yOffset = 32, 32
 -- add the chart at the specified location
 local chart = graphsheet:ChartObjects():Add(xOffset, yOffset, width, height)
 -- set the chart type
 chart.ChartType = xlenums.XlChartType.xlLine
 -- figure out how large our data set is
 local numRows = datasheet.Columns(1):End(xlenums.XlDirection.xlDown).Row
 local numColumns = datasheet.Rows(1):End(xlenums.XlDirection.xlToRight).Column
 -- this range describes the data set to add to the chart
 local sourceData = datasheet:Range(datasheet.Cells(1, 1), datasheet.Cells(numRows, numColumns))
 chart:Activate()
 -- associate the source data with the chart
 excel.ActiveChart:SetSourceData(sourceData)
 excel.ActiveChart.HasTitle = true
 excel.ActiveChart.ChartTitle.Text = graphsheet.Name .. " for " .. datasheet.Name
 return chart
end

 ----------------------------  Main code starts here ------------------------------

 -- add a new workbook
 local book = excel.Workbooks:Add()
 -- use sheet 1 for the data
 local sheet1 = book.Worksheets(1)
 sheet1.Name = "Data"
 -- and sheet 2 for the graph
 local sheet2 = book.Worksheets(2)
 sheet2.Name = "Chart"
 excel.Visible = true
 excel.DisplayAlerts = false
 math.randomseed(os.time())
 -- create three columns, 100 entries each, of data
 for col=1, 3 do
  -- row 1: title
  sheet1.Cells(1, col).Value2 = ("Data series %d"):format(col)
  -- row 2-100: data
  for row=2, 100 do
   sheet1.Cells(row, col).Value2 = math.floor(math.random() * 100)
  end
 end
 -- add a graph on sheet 2, taking its data from sheet 1
 AddGraph(sheet2, sheet1)
--~  book:SaveAs([[c:\mygraph.xls]])
 --~ book:Close()