I know this topic has been discussed many times on this list but after much searching I'm not able to find anything that exactly addresses my question.

I'm upgrading an application from Lua 5.1 to Lua 5.3. Part of the application includes a simple line-mode Lua debugger. This debugger can move up and down the stack and get and set variables in the desired function using code that is very similar to Listing 23.1 (page 209) in PiL 2nd. ed.

How do I re-write this line from the example using Lua 5.3?

   return getfenv(func)[name]