On Feb 6, 2015 3:34 PM, "Yichun Zhang (agentzh)" <agentzh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Jay Carlson wrote:
> > The threaded "hello world" uses 60ms. Is it time to start looking at
> > freeze/thaw options for the interpreter?
>
> It's not the time for "hello world" itself, but rather the "startup
> hit". This startup hit is from the temporary directory and file
> creations and other bootstrapping operations in Perl to make nginx
> happy. Yes, this part is a hack right now and can be improved a lot in
> the near future.

That makes sense. So for each invocation of the interpreter you have the overhead of Perl invocation too...

I ran strace on some slow Python utilities on Ubuntu. I forget which innocuous-seeming module caused it, but the whole Ubuntu desktop-centric bug-reporting mechanism was being hauled in on every process start. Not a good utility to run from a shell script.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." But high overhead for process start can make people do stupid things on Unix.

Jay