On 01/02/2015 19.32, Enrico Tassi wrote:
Given that different Lua versions are not 100% compatible, whatever we
choose must contain the version number.

That is a very good idea; when I distribute Lua programs, having to compile or install Lua manually turns away most users. People are lazy (so am I) and tend to prefer things that 'just work'.

What about the libraries, for example lfs or luasocket? They are version-dependent too. Do you think of compiling each version with different built-in default for LUA_PATH/LUA_CPATH, or to launch a script that sets them accordingly? It would be great if different distributions used the same mechanism. Or do you plan to rely on LuaRocks? (does it handle multiple versions?) It would be an extra step for non-technical users, too, especially if they do not have the gcc toolchain installed. Or LuaDist?

This could be the best occasion to standardize library installation, so that a common user (e.g. a former Windows user) could just use her distribution's package manager. Library distribution does not need to be done now, but defining how it should be done could save a lot of grief later.

In any case, many thanks for your initiative!

--
  Enrico