It was thus said that the Great Dibyendu Majumdar once stated:

> My hope is that with the more specialized bytecodes I will be able to
> get greater performance when the code is JITed. Once I have ironed out
> any bugs I will look at implementing a JIT compiler. As I do not want
> to have to write this for every platform I am planning to use one of
> the existing JIT libraries to generate the code. (I am considering
> LLVM and GNU Lightning, but will also look at libjit, nanojit, and any
> others).

  I have an obvious question:  have you tried LuaJIT?  I testing my own
Mandelbrot code, and Lua 5.1 (default compile) ran in 2.7 seconds (32b
Pentium 2.6 GHz) and LuaJIT (default compile) ran in 0.7 seconds (same
machine).  When I removed the calls to GD [1], the times were 2.0 seconds
(Lua 5.1) and 0.09 seconds (LuaJIT).

  -spc

[1]	http://ittner.github.io/lua-gd/