We are using LMDB for caching some frequently used read-only data (so we are using it as read only, no writes therefore no transactions).

I am not sure how your question is particularly relevant to Lua mailing list though.
LMDB is a C library .
We are using  https://github.com/deephacks/lmdbjni  java wrapper.
The lua wrapper that I see https://github.com/shmul/lightningdbm  has not been updated for a while, and I know that LMDB had had new releases since then.

We are serializing LUA tables into it in the 'value' portion of the key/value pair. and then pulling it out of LMDB and sending to our Lua script.  Serialized lua tables live fine in the 'byte' value structure of lmdb (they do not get corrupted/etc).

Using lua tables as value portion of the data caching mechanism, allows us to avoid hardcoding of caching attributes (as in our case the data schema evolves).

LevelDB is quite different than LMDB. I do not have experience with it, but is more tuned for writing and then reading much larger data sets.  But if you dealing with data sets that are going to be larger than a single computer, than better to use distributed key value store, such as Riak (that can be configured to use lmdb underneath)

Vladislav