It was thus said that the Great Dirk Laurie once stated:

> I suspect it is not as simple as making an API to C's sscanf,
> dropping field length modifiers, otherwise we would have had
> it already.

  Fortran has the ability to use the same format string for both input and
output.  Granted, the syntax is a bit odd, but I always wondered why C
couldn't quite pull that off.

  -spc (That's about the only thing I remember about Fortran.  Oh wait, that
	and any character in column 1 marked a comment, otherwise, statments
	start in column 6 ... )