> @Bogdan Marinescu - JavaScript was originally (and still is of course)
> a browser embedded language designed from the start to be event-driven
> (if indeed it was ever consciously designed!).

Lua is an *embeddable* language designed from the start to be used embedded
in other applications (that is, all actions start in the host). To me, this
sounds remarcably similar to event-driven.

-- Roberto

[John Hind] You are right of course - when Lua is used as an embedded
language in games it is generally event-driven analogous to JavaScript in a
browser. My point was about the design of runtime environments for Lua not
the language itself. My view is that when a scripting language is put on a
microcontroller it should be implemented within an event-driven framework
(were the events are essentially the hardware interrupts).  The tendency has
been to implement a simple command line environment based on lua.exe with
libraries to access the hardware essentially forcing the programmer to write
a non-terminating polling loop in Lua. It sounds like Bogdan is already
thinking along these lines.