> One remark; as LUA_COMPAT_ALL has been deprecated, in favour of
> version specific ones, would it be possible to break the build when it
> has been defined?  Maybe a silly idea, but it would safeguard someone
> from expecting compatibility and not getting it.

I think you are kind of glorifing LUA_COMPAT_ALL. LUA_COMPAT_ALL never
meant "keep full compatibility with previous versions". It meant keep
some compatibility with the immediate previous version where possible,
for a loose interpretation of "possible". To expect compatibility just
because this macro is defined is (and has always been) unwise.

-- Roberto