> The numbering is related to different test suites, one for each
> different module in my "patchwork" library.

So, each number is a completely independent run of Lua?

Then, there is an something interesting: The "distribution of slowness"
is far from smooth.  Several tests are extremely slower in 5.3 than in
5.1/5.2 (by orders of magnitude), and most tests run in around the same
time, but there is not much in between (say, 3~7 times slower).  What do
these tests have in common, different from the others?

4    1739 kB     12.6 s
6    1485 kB     13.3 s
7    1258 kB     12.3 s
12    1836 kB     12.1 s
16    1226 kB     12.4 s
21    1665 kB     12.5 s
23    1828 kB     11.5 s
24    2143 kB     12.6 s
25    2233 kB     12.1 s
29    2156 kB     11.9 s
31    1664 kB     11.3 s
35    2682 kB     11.3 s
36    2345 kB     11.8 s
37    1586 kB     11.5 s

Moreover, memory is not always related to time. Some of these tests use
much more memory in 5.3 than in 5.1/5.2, but for many, the difference in
time is much higher than the difference in memory. So, maybe the problem
is not directly related to memory.

-- Roberto