On 05/01/2015 10:46, Philipp Janda wrote:
Am 05.01.2015 um 01:08 schröbte Lorenzo Donati:

I find this release quite slow. I ran a bunch of test suites used to
unit-test my internal "patchwork" library and it took about 3 minutes to
complete, whereas with Lua 5.2 and 5.1 it took a couple of seconds
(some of those are stress-tests for my non-optimized math modules, so
they probably generate lots of garbage, but the difference from previous
versions is scaring).  [...]

BTW, during the test-run ProcessExplorer (a task manager) showed that
the core on which lua ran was fully busy (on both systems), so it seems
that Lua was doing something heavy and not waiting for some lagging I/O.

Can anyone confirm such behaviour? Did anyone do some performance
testing on Windows with 5.3 compared with older versions?

In work2 there had been a problem with the garbage collection which
caused a slowdown[1]. Could you retest your code with a stopped garbage
collector (maybe forcing a full collection manually at certain intervals
if necessary)?

Thanks for the pointer! Sadly it is a bit difficult to do with that mess of test files. Maybe I can try to isolate a single test suite and modify it, but I have little time to do that ATM. We'll see.

Thanks!

-- Lorenzo

Philipp

   [1]: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-03/msg00724.html