> If someone were to port Lua (i.e. src/*.{c,h}) to another language

What language do you have in mind? And why?

Anyway, the compiler (lexer+parser+code generator) is one large portion
of the code that is completely separate from the other modules, except
for the data structures it builds. So you may want to keep those in C
at first, if possible.

However, the code implementing Lua is tightly knit and I don't see how
you can port it to a different language without doing it all at once.

I'd like to hear your experience trying to do that.