>>> Well, I see the code does honor __index. [It seems my complaining in
>>> earlier threads paid off!] ... but I don't see that in the docs?
>>> There's no mention of ipairs using raw/normal access in any of Lua's
>>> 5.1, 5.2, or 5.3 beta manuals.
>>
>> beta §8.2
>
> Thanks for the pointer Dirk. [Although, I'm not sure the change list
> really counts as "official documentation"...]

It's in effect a belated addition to the 5.2 documentation, which nowhere
states that ipairs uses raw access, as it does state for the table library.
Note that the fact that the table library now respects metamethods is
also only mentioned in the change list, but in that case you could read
it between the lines: the 5.2 manual has a sentence about raw access
earlier that is now omitted.

Actually, Lua team: maybe the Lua 5.2.4 manual could say that ipairs
does raw access?