No sarcasm intended. Doing it in C isn't an option. I'm working with a
program that embeds Lua for extensions but hit a problem that looks
like the standard Lua pattern library won't solve. I want to see if I
can solve it with lpeg.

Sorry to you. I'm looking at the mailing list from the "archive" page, organized by thread, and your post is looking like it was an answer to a thread I started, and strangely it was correlated to my question. But maybe it actually was intended to be an independent thread... Not sure how this web interface works.
I apologize again!
Michele