> I'm thinking about the concept of "designing errors" or, putting time into
> the design of how errors help / teach / guide the application developer. In
> question form: How does one think of errors as an opportunity to help at the
> time when a developer is most open to help?

   Optimization is the icing on a cake
   That has already been baked.

Absolutely #1 in my book is to use many unnecessary functions.
Functions with no arguments that get called only once and have
long names. Your program is readable by someone who can read
a poem, your tracebacks look like a story told backwards.

As long as, of course, your error objects are strings. :-)