On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Charles Smith
<cts.private.yahoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to take the time to develop a clearer example, but I think the point
> is, alt1 and alt2 also use msg_union.  That's what I mean by recursive
> design.  It's a classic chicken/egg issue.

(Please don't top-post. I know it's the default in gmail. It's bad
list etiquette.)

That's actually not a problem at all! If msg_union is a global, it
just works out of the box. If it's a local, then just break it into
two lines:

local msg_union
msg_union = { ... }

Alternatively, if it reads better for you, you can write it this way:

local msg_union = {}
msg_union[0] = function(body) ... end
msg_union[1] = function(body) ... end

/s/ Adam