On 23/09/14 03:54 PM, William Ahern wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 03:41:29PM -0300, Thiago L. wrote:
On 23/09/14 03:18 PM, William Ahern wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 02:23:12PM -0300, Thiago L. wrote:
I'm writing an IRC library as the existing ones aren't really good
enough (or pure Lua enough) for my purposes. I'm trying to decide on how
to handle the messages, but I need some input.

First method: (I prefer this way as I think it gives the coder more
freedom, you can register a single handler and handle any number of
events you want, and you can also use this to implement the 2nd method.
I could also add priorities to this.)

irc.addHandler(coroutine.create(function(...)
     while true do
         -- something here
         coroutine.yield()
     end
end))
<snip>
Second method: (this is how LuaIRC does it... not very friendly,
especially when you're doing a modular bot...)

irc.addHandler("eventName", function(...)
end)

So, what do you say? Should I go for the 1st or the 2nd method, or
should I go for something else entirely?
IMO both of these options are too high-level and make too many assumptions
about the caller. I dislike APIs which make too many assumptions. I'd
rather
they make fewer assumptions, but make it trivial for me to extend things.
What do you mean too many assumptions about the caller?
For one thing, that the library users wants to handle events through a
callback (push rather than pull). Depending on how the object acquires
input, that the event dispatcher will loop indepenently rather than being
controlled in a step-by-step fashion by the library user.

Google "push pull parsing". It's generally considered that pull parsers are
much easier to integrate into applications. For example,

	http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19316-01/819-3669/bnbdy/index.html

So just use raw sockets...?