Let's start with this one:

> The only possible actual
> change I can see that you MIGHT be speculating on (but not actually
> saying anything about) is making the # operator return the number of
> elements in the table rather than the index of the highest element in
> the sequence.

to which I wrote

> implementation detail that bleeds through into userland big time,
> [...] to the way table sizes
> are calculated

You are right I didn't say anything about a possible implementation,
but that's due to the fact that I put forward two separate ideas about
this earlier.

The first was: let's discourage users from messing with the array
part, which includes setting numerical indexes manually and punching
nil holes into the table, but it also pertains to the length operator
returning the number of actual entries. This is what I referred to as
turning arrays into sequences.

I get that you assert the "array part" doesn't exist in the first
place, but this is what I (obviously) don't understand. Because
clearly table entries with numerical indexes are handled differently
from other keys, both behind the scenes AND in the language itself.

The second alternative I was rambling about was to unify the behavior
of the table by making it an ordered hash. This would mean that the
table runtime no longer cares what kind of index an entry has, since
its values wouldn't influence anything except lookup. Of course that
also means keeping an ordering value behind the scenes.

Both ideas, whether they seem attractive to people or not, are clearly
and very obviously different from the way tables work now.

I get the feeling that I failed to express this correctly or at least
in a way that doesn't seem like thoughtless noise :( but I really
tried...