It's undefined. I once complained on this list about this but the opinion was that it's better to leave it undefined because it enables the VM to do optimizations. For  deterministic calculations, this means that multiple assignments are to be avoided. Though it would need a bit of crafting to run into it. Like x,y = rand(), rand()

I think I voiced the opinion that it should be documented then in the manual, but I'm not sure any more.

Eike

Am 14.09.2014 19:51 schrieb "Thiago L." <fakedme@gmail.com>:
For example:

Lua 5.2.3  Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> setmetatable(_ENV, {__newindex = function(t,k,v) if k == "out" then io.write(v) end end}) out,out,out = "what","the","fuck"
fuckthewhat>