Example:
local x
if foo then x =true end

You see that locals can be modified in scored blocks.

Eike

Am 24.08.2014 20:05 schrieb "Paul Merrell" <marbux@gmail.com>:
Hi, all,

After a couple of years now, I think I'm approaching an understanding
of Lua's variable scoping. But where I'm still at sea is in evading
the use of globals in an if block or loop inside a function. I feel
like I'm missing something basic. An example at
<https://gist.github.com/Marbux/961d5aa3244993e42cae>, which executes
but is a work in progress.

A function begins at line 43 and a series of if blocks at line 48.
The variables within each if block are globals. How might I refactor
my function so that the same variables are locals, if possible.

I've been working around this kind of problem by declaring the globals
as nils in the global environment. See function test at line 79. But
particularly with functions shared by multiple scripts, I'd like to
find a way around that.
'
Hopefully, this is just my ignorance showing. I'll appreciate any
enlightenment here.

Best regards,

Paul

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]