That would be mostly equivalent, yes. The main difference would be that you'd see undefined references to globals show up as attempts to index a nil value rather than as the nicely formatted errors strict.lua throws. (Well, and I suppose it would perform a touch better on the first assignment to a global variable or when reading nil-valued globals since there would be no intervening metamethods doing runtime checks.)