I think the reason I’m still confused is I’m not understanding how this works. I figured when you do str:len(), you still have to access the global ‘string’ table, because that’s what the __index metamethod is for ‘str’s metatable. In which case it would be more work. Are you saying str:len() retrieves the ‘len' function without having to get _ENV.table?