Op 1 aug. 2014 17:19 schreef Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br>:

> > The comptibility issue will have to be dealt with anyway, if not now, then later. And the issue is fairly simple, as any fix for 5.3 will work backwards on 5.2 and 5.1. In this respect the integer divison operator is a far bigger incompatibility as it will return compile time errors on older versions.
> >
> > So don't be shy, just drop them.
>
> Just a few days ago we sent a message stating that we are not sure about
> this whole thing anymore [1]. You probably missed it.
>

> [1] http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-07/msg00536.html
>
> -- Roberto

No I did not, but I read that message as if you still think coercions are undesirable, but the implications turned out to be bigger than expected (incompatibilities), and hence you hesitate.

Another master I adhere to once stated "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try".

As mentioned, I think any incompatibilities are easily cought and fixed, and the fixes will be backwards compatible.

May the force be with you
Thijs