On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> It was mentioned that "table.clear" (or similar) was likely. Was it decided
>> that it would not be useful?
>
> I don't think we even agreed on what it would do.

As far as I see it, tables and closures are the only real mutable base
types in Lua -- we generally don't need to nil'ify all the upvalues of
a closure/function, but it would be nice to quickly dispense the array
and hash portion of a table so the same object can be returned, and
filled thereafter -- with the same associated metatable.  Just
something faster than looping through the table in Lua to unreference
everything?  I'm not sure what extra arguments it might take to
selectively clear portions of the table.  Maybe the array or hash
portion, or a starting and ending numeric index?  I might be very
crazy... :p  Stop me if I have weird ideas.