On Jul 14, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Jerome Vuarand <jerome.vuarand@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It is not that easy. A #line directive without a file name is a half
>>> baked solution, and to store multiple file names in a chunk would
>>> require some new data structures. (Nothing impossible, but it is
>>> not trivial.)
>>>
>>> -- Roberto

I have a generic CPP-like macro processor for Lua (written in Lua, of course!), and all I do is have it emit a “mapping” file that contains the source file and line number for each line in the output file. It’s not elegant, but it’s simple and works with standard Lua (and any other language). If you get an error on line XXX in Lua, you just look on line XXX in the mapping file and it tells you what file/line number originated the code.

Cheap, but works.
—Tim