To each their own. ;) I mean, I'm not for a free-for-all commit access or anything, but they could at least publish their git/svn/whatever-they-use repo and give us an opportunity to see how things are progressing. It would also give others an opportunity to patch against the latest development release (which I imagine is much more useful for upstream than patching against a maintained release, which to them is old code).

That was never an issue, since the Lua team never accepted any foreign patch verbatimly.

PUC-Rio Lua has a strong Not-Invented-Here Syndrome.