On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Eric Wing <ewmailing@gmail.com> wrote:
> compute/move the sprites around. I also wrote a pure C version as a
> control. Off the top of my head, I think Lua 5.3 was a little shy of
> 60% of C. LuaJIT with JIT enabled was 75% of C.

That's indeed pretty good; most of the work is happening on the
library side, which you want.  So the interpreter overhead isn't so
significant - rule of thumb is that Lua is an order of magnitude
slower than C.  Thus I don't expect significant speed-up using LuaJIT.

Curious to know how well a LuaJIT FFI binding to SDL would perform,
since with LuaJIT you start to notice the overhead of going through a
traditional binding.

steve d.