On 7/9/2014 2:41 PM, Alexander wrote:
Currently I am using 5.2 but I am thinking permanent to switch to LuaJIT so I have a more solid base.
I hope that 5.3 will be more stable.

This is where I ended up. LuaJIT is very stable and extremely fast. The FFI is awesome.

I think there's a danger in stock Lua going in directions where Mike Pall doesn't want to follow; I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares about speed and stability, and the farther PUC Lua is from LuaJIT, the less relevant PUC Lua is to people like me. [1]

And if LuaJIT got a continue keyword, well, I wouldn't look back. ;)

Tim

[1] Which interpreter *I* use isn't really the important thing: It's the batteries that are key. The libraries and bindings and example code. The more mutually incompatible versions of Lua compete for library maintainer mindshare, the less likely it is that most libraries will support most versions. With 5.1/5.2/5.3/5.4? fragmentation of PUC Lua, LuaJIT 2.x may end up with the largest installed base of any Lua version, and consequently it could become the de facto standard that libraries are written for. And more libraries means more people use it, etc. -- a classic network effect.