On Sunday, July 6, 2014, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

On Jul 6, 2014 10:02 AM, "Enrico Tassi" <gares@fettunta.org> wrote:

> Would it be possible to name the symbols after the Lua version?  I'm
> wondering if something like having #define lua_foo lua53_foo for each
> symbol that is part of the public API would work.

Yes, I think it would be possible. Who would make this decision, and what action would result?

Do other packagers besides Debian have an opinion?

If I may: Lua on Windows names the dll "lua51.dll" or "lua52.dll"

That's easy and makes a lot of sense, to my facile point of view. :)

I believe that you wouldn't need anything special to support this. But, that leads me to suspect that I don't know enough about the issues, so please enlighten me...

-Andrew