Steven, the following paragraph from the readme does not say what you
want it to say:

"Finally, the API must not be bloated. Nothing should be put into it
except what's impossible or impractical to do in pure Lua, and what's
extremely common and likely to be used in everyone's configs."

That second sentence says the API *should* include "what's impossible
or impractical to do in pure Lua."

For my web page, I've rewritten that paragraph as:

"Finally, the API must not be bloated. Nothing should be added that is
impossible or impractical to do in pure Lua; what should be included
is what's extremely common and likely to be used in everyone's
configs."

Best regards,

Paul
--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]