lua-users home
lua-l archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Nice work!

Couple of observations:
  - would You consider trying LuaJIT to squeeze even more performance from Lua?
  - are You familiar with other Lua based Window Managers, as in Awesome WM?
  - are You considering hacking Lua core (it's 5.2.3, I suppose),
because it's added as source instead of submodule?

  - offtopic: Your last name seems Lithuanian, am I right? :}

- Kamiccolo

On 7/2/14, Steven Degutis <> wrote:
> Hello!
> (Sorry if this is a double-post; the first message looks like all
> jumbled text in the archive!)
> I recently chose Lua as the extension language for my OSX window
> manager, Hydra. It's still in beta, and I hope to release 1.0 in about
> a week, but you can browse the project on its github page:
> This project is my first real attempt at integrating Lua into an
> application as an extension language, as well as my first time
> seriously using Lua. The experience has been exceedingly pleasant so
> far, and I'm very happy that I found Lua and gave it serious
> consideration for this role.
> In fact, I've made a point of it to write only the bare minimum of the
> application in C (really Objective-C), and to do as much as possible
> in Lua. It's really been a lot easier than when I wrote it in
> Objective-C. And I hope that it will be easier for others to
> contribute to the project if it's all in Lua.
> Since it is my first attempt, the code in my project may not be
> perfectly idiomatic, although I've been cleaning it up as I go along.
> The folks in the #lua channel on freenode have also been tremendously
> helpful in giving constructive criticism and feedback on my modules
> and their design, and it's evolved quite a bit since I started, and I
> think it landed in a good spot.
> The end result is an API that I hope is mostly idiomatic and easy to
> use. The API can be easily browsed in the HTML form which I compiled
> from within the app:
> One more thing that may be of note, is that I used a home-grown
> documentation system, instead of the traditional JavaDoc-style system
> that peruses comments. My system has a global `doc` which then mirrors
> the rest of the API. And each node on this tree has a custom
> __tostring metamethod which is useful in the REPL. This system was
> used to generate the HTML documentation linked above, by first
> translating this documentation tree into JSON. One of my favorite
> benefits of this so far has been that I can still write the
> documentation for a method right next to its implementation.
> Anyway, I just wanted to let this mailing list know about this
> project, since it's Lua-related. Thanks for your time.
> -Steven